Saturday, February 2, 2008

Thing 3 : RSS (Really Simple Syndication)

Well our youngest got up in the middle of the night and dad can't sleep now, so I guess the bright side is I found time to work on the next task.

I'm still enthusiastic about doing the 23TOAS, but where do we find the time? I think the guy on the video (stick #2) made the 15-minutes-a-day-is-all-this-would-take sound like a snap.

I created my Google Reader Aggregator (say that fast a few times) and setting up an RSS feed to it does seem pretty simple. How does one create their own RSS feed?

The hard part for me seems to be finding RSS feeds that I'm interested in checking everyday. I put the Star Tribune feed in. I put a "word of the day" in I suppose so I could pad my list. There were a couple others that I thought looked interesting:

There was a library blog for teens that seemed worth a look. Worthington Libraries (Ohio, not MN)seem to have a good blog design: (How do you make a blog like that?)


I put a few of the CMLE blogs into my aggregator/reader. These are more meaningful to me since I guess there is a sense of community-we're all in this together type of thing. I work with teens at our school and life revolves around their friends. I can see how RSS could be a big deal to them, but does it beat IM? If I were a classroom teacher brave enough to have students create their own blogs, an RSS feed would be a good way to keep tabs on what students are discussing. Blogs and RSS would be a good way to work on writing skills. For me I'm starting to get more interested in setting up a summer book club. We have book clubs at our school and I can envision blogs/RSS as a way to keep our conversations about books going through the summer.

No comments: