Monday, March 3, 2008

Thing 10 : Wikis

"Email is not good at coordinating a group's input." - Wikis in Plain English at Common Craft

A wiki is a web page that a group can edit and coordinate together. Wikis can be made public, but a group can require a key code reserving the ability to edit to just selected members.

I've set up a wiki at PBwiki.com. It will take awhile to get the wiki going, but I'm including information on some of the resources we've been using for 23Things to start a wiki about Web 2.0 resources our staff might be interested in. I may possibly use it for a future staff dev. class. I've got it set for public viewing and if you would like a key to be able to edit, just post a comment below or get in contact with me. The Beautiful Corner wiki is at: beautifulcorner.pbwiki.com.


Just from passing conversations with my fellow staff members I sense curiosity about Web 2.0 is growing. Our 6th grade is doing research projects on World History for the first time. We thought a wiki might be a good way to update a list of good topics to recommend to our students.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Sounds like many teachers are picking up on the various tools available to expand the nature of students do on a daily basis. As time has passed and the Web have grown, I myself am constantly thinking about how I can use wikis and other Web based tools to reach out to my students. I believe that my class next year will quite different from this year!

Cindy Gruwell
CMLE 23 Things Coach