Monday, March 17, 2008

Thing 12 : Do You Digg? (Social Media Sites)

To me it is interesting that all of these sites (Digg, Newsvine, Mixx, Reddit) had the same favorite news story linked today: "Does Anyone Care about Big Brother Anymore? (not the TV Show)."

(The Time article discusses the American public's apparent lack of interest with the issue of our civil liberties being taken away vs. the trade-off of improved national security. With news stories such as possible gov't violations of the terms of the Patriot Act to the stripping of authority of a Whitehouse civilian oversight board, the article laments our lack of concern over the truth about whether or not our civil liberties have been violated.)

I'm not surprised that social media sites like Digg, Mixx, Newsvine, Reddit have this as one of their top rated articles. Noticing what these sites give attention to compared with my daily print newspaper may make me curious enough to take a glance once in a while. I only say a "glance," however. I can't justify a lot of time devoted to looking at them everyday unlike those who apparently can.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Hello,

I had to smile...as I glance too, only thing is I often can't help myself from looking more...

Cindy Gruwell
CMLE 23 Things Coach