Monday, March 31, 2008

Thing 15 : Libraries and Games

I set up an account in Second Life, but I experienced trouble teleporting to Info Island. I couldn't teleport at all for that matter, so I left my initial experience with Second life a little frustrated.

I listened to part of Sirsi Dynix Institute's podcast on "Teen Second Life: Library Services in a 3D World" with Kelly Czarnecki. Some points from this podcast that stood out to me:

-Adults that want to work with students in Teen Second Lifewhich is separate from the adult Second Life have to have a background check and have to pay a fee.

-3D environments like Teen Second Life can possibly help teens with their developmental needs for building relationships, participating, and creating.

-Claims that Teens monitor other teens behavior in Teen Second Life

Do we need to be involved with Teen Second Life because "that's where the teens are?" I don't know how many of our teens are there (yet). I'm not sure I'm ready to start developing my avatar persona as another way for me to reach out to teens. Besides, aren't they really going there to meet other teens and not adults?

I am impressed that TSL hosted A Festival of Authors on Feb. 2nd and that several authors made appearances (through their avatars). What a terrific opportunity for teenagers to talk to authors!

No comments: